Before Your Bariatric Surgery
Prior to your surgery at BHS, the following requirements must be met:
- You will be required to complete a medically supervised weight loss plan
prior to surgery
- Six consecutive supervised weight loss visits with your primary care physician
- A consultation with our dietitian; at this visit you will discuss life
after bariatric surgery, including the changes to your digestive system
and nutritional requirements; the importance of protein intake and adequate
- Psychological evaluation to make sure that you are mentally healthy to
go through the changes that you will experience with bariatric surgery.
- Pre-operative testing which includes lab work, chest x-ray, electrocardiogram,
esophogram and any age-required routine testing such as a mammogram or
a colonoscopy-please note that testing ordered varies and is based on
age and any current diagnoses
- Four months into the process, you will return to our office to review all
testing completed and progress with physician-supervised weight loss visits.
We will also discuss protein supplements and help you choose the right
supplement for you.
- A few weeks prior to surgery, we will meet again to provide you with important
pre-surgical instructions and to help you better understand what to expect
After Surgery and TotalCare
Regular, consistent follow-ups with your surgeon and bariatric staff are
vital to your success and should be maintained for best possible results.
We work with you every step of the way through regularly scheduled office
visits and monthly support groups. The following describes various aspects
of our TotalCare program, including support groups, our online program,
and family support and involvement.
The TotalCare online program provides a step-by-step approach to your preparations
and post-surgery weight loss plans.
Features of the online program include:
- Checklists and reminders to make your surgical journey less stressful
- Convenient access to important education materials regarding weight loss surgery
- Informative videos, including frequently asked questions
- Ability to do your planning and complete forms online to simplify your paperwork
- Surveys to provide your surgeon and bariatric care team with important
feedback concerning your experience
- Updates delivered to your support person as you progress through the program
Involve Personal Support
You can choose a family member or friend who can act as a personal support
person or "coach" as you go through the weight loss process.
We'll involve them every step of the way. Your support person is encouraged
to attend class with you, and once you add them to your CareCircle in
the online program, they will receive emails with valuable information
to assist you with your journey.