Bariatric Surgery at Butler Health System
Pathway to Success
Butler Health System performs three types of bariatric surgery: Gastric
Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Lap Band placement. We look forward to
assisting you in determining the correct course of action to meet your
weight loss goals. BHS Bariatrics is a program recognized for excellence
in bariatric surgery procedures. We were honored in the 2014 CI+T Accelerator
Awards, hosted by Clinical Innovation + Technology Magazine. This program
recognizes innovative projects that help healthcare providers achieve
the triple aim. Butler Health System's use of Wellbe’s Guided
CarePaths for total joint replacement and bariatric surgery patients won
in the Patient Engagement Category. There were a total of five winners
across all categories for 2014.
Learn more about our bariatric surgery program:
Losing weight can help you find yourself. For individuals struggling with
obesity, the possibility of bariatric surgery to achieve comprehensive
weight loss can be both exciting and intimidating. Only a well qualified
surgeon can help determine the right course of action on a case-by-case basis.
Coupled with a highly-trained surgical team and backed by the state-of-the-art
medical BHS is able to provide every patient with comprehensive bariatric
services-from compassionate advice and counseling to several types of
surgery options and thorough follow-up care.
Your first step is to contact BHS with your interest. We will work with
your insurance carrier to verify your insurance benefits for bariatric
surgery. Next, you should attend a free informational seminar, where you
will learn about surgical weight loss options and meet our staff and other
patients. We can then schedule your initial consultation with the surgeon
to determine if weight loss surgery is the right tool for you.
These are the requirements prior to surgery:
- You will be required to complete a medically supervised weight loss plan
prior to surgery
- Six consecutive supervised weight loss visits with your primary care physician
- A consultation with our dietitian; at this visit you will discuss life
after bariatric surgery, including the changes to your digestive system
and nutritional requirements; the importance of protein intake and adequate
- Psychological evaluation to make sure that you are mentally healthy to
go through the changes that you will experience with bariatric surgery.
- Pre-operative testing which includes lab work, chest x-ray, electrocardiogram,
esophogram and any age-required routine testing such as a mammogram or
a colonoscopy-please note that testing ordered varies and is based on
age and any current diagnoses
- Four months into the process, you will return to our office to review all
testing completed and progress with physician-supervised weight loss visits.
We will also discuss protein supplements and help you choose the right
supplement for you.
- A few weeks prior to surgery, we will meet again to provide you with important
pre-surgical instructions and to help you better understand what to expect
After Surgery and TotalCare
Regular, consistent follow-ups with your surgeon and bariatric staff are
vital to your success and should be maintained for best possible results.
We work with you every step of the way through regularly scheduled office
visits and monthly support groups. The following describes various aspects
of our TotalCare program, including support groups, our online program,
and family support and involvement.
Before and after your surgery, you'll have the opportunity to attend
bariatric patient support groups to better prepare you and your support
person for what to expect before, during, and after surgery. The encouragement
and sharing you receive through a support group and involving others will
keep your weight loss motivation high. We are committed to your success
and have created programs to guide you through the entire weight loss
journey. Our support groups are held in the Nixon Sarver Building at the
main hospital tower entrance.
Our support group sessions include:
- Each session features a subject matter expert or a collaborative approach
among others with similar experiences that will explain what you need
to know and answer your questions and concerns
- An opportunity for you and your support person to meet prior surgical patients
or current patients who are working toward their surgery goals
- The opportunity to learn about lifestyle changes needed and how best to
prepare and achieve sustainable results
- A chance to meet our staff and other friendly, supportive bariatric patients
who will be supportive to you throughout your weight loss journey
The TotalCare online program provides a step-by-step approach to your preparations
and post-surgery weight loss plans.
Features of the online program include:
- Checklists and reminders to make your surgical journey less stressful
- Convenient access to important education materials regarding weight loss surgery
- Informative videos, including frequently asked questions
- Ability to do your planning and complete forms online to simplify your paperwork
- Surveys to provide your surgeon and bariatric care team with important
feedback concerning your experience
- Updates delivered to your support person as you progress through the program
Office Visits and Staff
Under the leadership of Dr. Lee, the staff consists of a team of professionals
specializing in medicine, nursing, nutrition, psychology and surgery.
They have expert knowledge and a caring attitude that will make the difference
in your weight loss journey. The team works together to provide you the
best medical care while meeting your weight loss goal.
What makes us different includes:
- All phone calls and questions are directly responded to by a dedicated
- Each patient will be followed by our bariatric nurse. Our nurse will follow
you from the beginning of your decision throughout the program to help
you successfully meet your weight loss goal
- We provide individual teaching and counseling in addition to nutritional
and exercise programs
- Our staff is dedicated to your success. We are available and will accommodate
your specific needs
Our surgical team shares the commitment to compassionate, individualized
care. We understand surgery can be stressful. Trust is essential-in the
skill and expertise of the surgeon, in the training and care of the surgical
team, and in the quality of the technology and facility where the procedure
occurs. For more than 100 years, Butler Memorial Hospital-the centerpiece
of BHS-has been earning that trust in our community and throughout the region.
We exist to make a positive difference by:
- Our surgical team provides personal attention, and genuine care for each
patient in an environment that places the patient first
- Our individual patient rooms are both comfortable and functional to provide
you the peaceful and assistance you deserve
- The surgical team and post care staff are dedicated and trained specifically
for the bariatric patient
- BHS is recognized for its service excellence and quality of care. BHS Health
System is the only hospital in Pennsylvania to receive an Excellence in
Health Care Compliance” award two years in a row from the state
Department of Health
Involve Personal Support
You can choose a family member or friend who can act as a personal support
person or "coach" as you go through the weight loss process.
We'll involve them every step of the way. Your support person is encouraged
to attend class with you, and once you add them to your CareCircle in
the online program, they will receive emails with valuable information
to assist you with your journey.
Listen to a recent radio show featuring Dr. Daniel Gagné discussing
Bariatric Surgery options at BHS