BHS Food Institute
Are you coping with a medical condition and have difficulty accessing or
affording healthy food? The Food Institute can Help!The BHS Food Institute is the first of its
kind in the Butler region. The Food Institute was established to give
everyone a way to stay healthy by learning about and eating healthier foods.
The Food Institute specializes in healthy eating for the whole family,
meal planning and preparing healthy recipes on a budget. During each monthly
appointment ingredients and cooking instructions for 10 meals will be
provided. Participants will also be linked to additional services to manage
chronic disease through lifestyle coaching and community resources to
improve overall health.
The BHS Food Institute was created to make nutritious meals a reality for
more families in the region. Find out about The Food Institute by calling
here to download the BHS Food Institute brochure.
Food Insecurity has Health Implications
Communities with the highest rates of food insecurity face a higher prevalence
for diseases and other measures that are tied to poor health.
Defining Food Insecurity:
- Disruption of food intake because of lack of money or other resources
- May be short term or long term
- Risk increases when money to buy food is limited or not available
- Neighborhood conditions may affect food insecurity
- Adults who are food insecure are at increased risk for obesity and other
negative health outcomes and health disparities
Referenced from Healthypeople.gov
How it Works
- Your doctor provides a referral for the BHS Food Institute. Bring your
printed referral to your first visit.
- Plan to spend 30-40 minutes with us on the initial visit.
- We'll ask you to fill out a short form to tell us about your dietary
needs and shopping habits. A nutrition health liaison takes you shopping
for food right at our center.
- You will leave with a bag of nutritious food - enough for you and your
family - for up to 10 meals a months for 6 months.
Do you have an interest in the BHS Food Institute? Check with your primary
care provider for more information.
Your generous donation will allow the BHS Food Institute to continue its
mission in Butler County and beyond.
Feed and educate a patient and their family for a week for $25. 100% of
your monetary donations will go directly to the BHS Food Institute.
Feed and educate a patient and their family for a week: $25
Feed and educate a patient and their family for a month: $100
Feed and educate a patient and their family for year: $1,200
To donate the tools participants need to open, prepare and store nutritious
food, visit the
BHS Food Institute Wish List on AmazonSmile.