BHS Employees - this physician is part of the
* Published an Article in the Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
July 2021: “Achieving Excellence in Perioperative Echocardiography
for Non-Academic Practices”, Dr. Jeffrey Astbury and Dr. Alina Nicoara.
* Published an article in the journal Vascular Specialist International
August 2021: “Technical Communication: Use of a Wire-Guided Scalpel
to Facilitate Central Catheter Insertion”, Dr. Jacob Rauchwerger,
Dr. Michael Serle and Dr. Jeffrey C. Astbury.
* Appointed to the Steering Committee for the Council on Perioperative
Echocardiography, American Society of Echocardiography for 2021-2022.
* Presenter/Faculty at the American Society of Echocardiography Scientific
Sessions in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021:
June 19, 2018 Ultrasound-Guided Vascular Cannulation
June 22, 2019 Mitral Regurgitation: Understanding Mechanisms and Grading Severity
Case Report: “Massive Lipomatous Hypertrophy”
August 8, 2020 ASE COPE Panel Discussion-Excellence in Intraoperative Echocardiography
in a busy clinical practice
June 19, 2021 ASE COPE Panel Discussion-Getting Involved in the American
Society of Echocardiography
* “Ask the Perioperative Echocardiography Expert” for November
2020, on “connect@ASE”. Fielded questions on Transseptal puncture,
Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) and more.
* Met virtually with the “Future Women in Medicine Club” about
preparing for a medical career, how to excel academically and finding
your career path (November 11, 2020).
* Mentored physicians in Perioperative Echocardiography (1997-present).
* Initiated and developed the usage of the Jet ventilator for atrial fibrillation
ablation procedures (2017).
* Educated physicians of guiding atrial transseptal puncture (2016-17).
* Developed Guidelines and Recommendations for Performing Ultrasound-Guided
Vascular Access (2020).
* Reviewer for CASE (Cardiovascular Imaging Case Reports). Reviewed four
case reports since August 2020: “Cardiac Echinococcosis Associated
Other Organ Involvement”, “Successful MitraClip Implantation
in a Barlow’s Valve”, “An Abnormal Echocardiographic
Connection Complicating Perioperative Planning” and “Traumatic
Injury to Both Atrioventricular Valves”.
* 94-98 percentile in volume units worked as compared to other US anesthesiologists
according to GMA data.
* Member of COVID Management Task Force 2020-21, Butler Memorial Hospital.
* Created a new optimized central line kit with includes a wire-guided
scalpel (GuideBlade, 2021-2022).
* First Class of physicians certified in Perioperative Transesophageal
Echocardiography by the National Board of Echocardiography (NBE) in 1999.
* 7th anesthesiologist to be named a Fellow in the American Society of Echocardiography in 2004.
* Double-Board Certified (Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography
and Adult Transesophageal Echocardiography).
* First physician to be certified/recertified five times by the National
Board of Echocardiography (2019). PTE exam (1999), Re-PTE exam (2008 and
2019), ASCeXAM (2002) and Re-ASCeXAM (2015).